April marks the start of “lab” birthdays. here is the first birthday cake of the year !
Graham Cracker Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate ice cream
- Mini marshmallows
Graham Cracker Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour three 6″ cake rounds, line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth.
- Add sugars and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3mins).
- Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of milk). Fully incorporating after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Smooth the top with a spatula and whack the pans against the counter to evenly distribute.
- Bake for approx. 40mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins. Whack the pans on the counter to loosen the cakes and turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Whip the cream till it reaches soft peaks and fold in the mini chocolate chips
- Bring the ice cream to room temperature so that it can be spread.
- Cut the cake into two layers and place one layer on the bottom of the springform pan.
- Spread ice cream, as much as you like. Sprinkle some chocolate chips and marshmallows, if you want.
- Add the other cake layer on top and press down
- Add the chocolate chip whipped cream on top
- Decorate with more marshmallows, chocolate chips and graham crackers crumbs.
- Store in freezer.
- Thaw in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before cutting into this messy delight !